Why do property taxes change year over year?

Taxes may change due to one or a combination of these factors:

  • A change in the Sturgeon County annual budget or requisition requirements for municipal operations, or a provincial education.
  • A change in assessment (market value) of more or less than the average.

If a property experiences a change in assessment above or below the average for the county, it will have a corresponding tax increase or decrease.

If a property experiences a change in assessment above or below the average for the county, it will have a corresponding tax increase or decrease.

If I call the County, will someone call me back?

Sturgeon County response standard is two working days (48 hours). There may be unique circumstances and adverse weather situations that will require more time to respond.

Do we have crowns on our roads?

Sturgeon County is striving to maintain the crown on the roadways. The age of the infrastructure, road base type and traffic volumes and types all impact Transportation’s ability to maintain crown on roadways. Crown is reestablished by minor and major shoulder pulling as time and conditions allow.

What is washboard and how does the County address it?

Washboard forms on gravel roads due to lack of moisture combined with acceleration and deceleration of vehicles. Washboard can be more prevalent near road intersections. Sandy road conditions are also more prone to washboard. Moisture conditions must be optimum to allow the grader operator to cut out the washboard during normal grading. Calcium dust suppression applications will also help reduce the washboard.

Why are gravel road conditions different accross the County?

Sturgeon County has over 1400 km of gravel roads. The weather conditions may differ throughout the County (with a distance of approximately 64 km from the north east corner to the south west corner of the County). Traffic volume and road base types dramatically impact maintenance of gravel roads.

How often are roads graveled?

Typically gravel roads are resupplied with gravel once every three years. High traffic volume roads may be graveled more often. Spring thaw and weather play a significant role in determining the road maintenance activities and schedule.

Why was the road graded after my dust suppresent was applied?

When the road condition becomes a safety concern, these sites must be graded. Inclement weather conditions may cause potholes in the gravel requiring grading. The operators will try to wait until there is some moisture in the ground as these sites will then become well-packed from traffic.

If there isn't a speed sign posted, what is the speed limit?

The Sturgeon County standard is 80 km/hr unless otherwise posted.

Can I put a "Children at play" sign on the road allowance?

Sturgeon County does not allow these signs on the roads due to liability issues. If you wish to place a Children at Play sign, it must be placed on your property, e.g. on a gate or fence on edge of your property.

What are the future plans for paving my road?

Almost all of Sturgeon County original roads were built over 65 years ago. When the roads were built, the type of traffic on the roads and the traffic volume was lighter compared to today. The construction methods were different back then and the number of vehicles and the types and weights of vehicles have change dramatically since the roads were originally built. To rebuild all the roads within Sturgeon County to today’s standards will take several decades and millions of dollars. Roads are prioritized on volume of traffic and classification. For a list of current and upcoming road and utility construction projects, check out the Projects page on our website.

Why is the gravel used on the roads sometimes large (40 mm) and sometimes small (20 mm)?

Two sizes of gravel are used on County Roads: 40 mm and 20 mm. Sturgeon County’s transportation department has implemented a two-year process of applying large gravel (40mm) on softer base roads and using traffic to pack this 40mm gravel into the base in year one. The following year, 20mm gravel is applied as a running surface. Basically, the 40mm gravel is the foundation and the 20 mm is the finishing gravel, used as the final lift in gravelling operations. Transportation has had good success with increasing the stability of the road structure using this process.

Can I buy gravel from the County?

No. All gravel and/or materials are purchased for County purposes only.

I live near the Heartland and have a lot of traffic on my road - what is the plan to address this?

Sturgeon County is working with Alberta Transportation on highway intersection improvements to help move more traffic in a timely manner. In an effort to ensure the safety of travellers while maintaining the quality of life of our local residents within the Industrial Heartland, Sturgeon County has implemented a traffic calming procedure where 3-way and 4-way stop signs have been installed in the area of Lamoureux Drive and along Township Road 564 between Range Road 220 and 223 to discourage neighbourhood short-cutting. Sturgeon County considers all Range Roads and Township Roads to be for local traffic, while highways are part of the regional traffic network. This is one of many Council-approved strategies that may be adopted to reduce neighbourhood short cutting. Please consider everyone’s safety while driving on County roads. View the map of the proposed locations.

Who can I talk to about the Provincial Highways?

Contact Alberta Transportation 780-963-5711 or Emcon Services Inc. at 1-800-390-2242.You can also visit the Alberta Transportation Highway Maintenance page for more information.

How do I report a burned-out streetlight?

Reporting a streetlight outage in a subdivision can be done by contacting Fortis online at service.fortisalberta.com/streetlights and/or by calling 780 310-9473. Make sure that you have your municipal address available when reporting the outage. Reporting a streetlight on a provincial highway (e.g. Hwy 28, Hwy 642, Hwy 825) please contact Emcon Services Inc. at 1-800-390-2242.

I'd like a new streetlight installed - how do I get that done?

A letter requesting why you feel that a streetlight is required should be addressed to Council for consideration. The letter can be emailed directly to council@sturgeoncounty.ca

I would like to install a second approach - how do I do that?

The application to request a second approach can be found on our website at www.sturgeoncounty.ca or by visiting a County office to fill out the paperwork. Second approaches are not normally approved. The Manager of Transportation Services will make the final decision whether a second approach can be installed. If the Manager approves the second approach, the customer will be contacted for the deposit and inspection fee. Once the second approach is built and then inspected, the deposit will be refunded minus the inspection fee.

I need my driveway plowed - how do I get that done?

As per Transportation Policy TRA-SNO-1 “The County will not provide snow and ice control on closed, leased, or semi-private roads or private driveways, other than as per Policy Number TRA-GRV-1 Grading and Plowing of Driveways.”; and

As per the Fees and Charges schedule for 2017 the current charge for snow removal of a private driveway is $110/per request. The landowner is required to sign the Snowplow and Grading Agreement prior to snow removal being performed.

How long does it take to clear the roads after a snowfall?

As per Transportation Policy TRA-SNO-1 Plowing and ice control will be completed in accordance with the following levels of service.

  • Paved and oiled roads (Arterials, Major & Minor collectors), including access roads and hill sections within subdivisions; will receive snow and ice control within 24 hours from the end of a recognized snowfall event.
  • Other paved and oiled roads (Local Roads) within subdivisions will receive snow and ice control within 72 hours from the end of a recognized snowfall event.
  • Gravel roads (Major & Minor Collectors, Local Roads) and subdivisions which are serviced by graders will receive snow and ice control within 72 hours from the end of a recognized snowfall event.
  • Sturgeon County Operations will route snow and ice control equipment in a manner which maximizes productivity and cost efficiency while ensuring road safety standards.

Where do the plows start their snow clearing?

There are approximately 1461 km of gravel roads in the County to plow. Sturgeon County has 11 patrol areas that each cover between 94km to 159km of gravel roads. Sturgeon County operations rotate the start point for snow service with each snow fall. The access to the Emergency Services building near Sturgeon Valley is a first priority. Refer to the TRA-SNO-1 policy that states: “Sturgeon County Operations will route snow and ice control equipment in a manner which maximizes productivity and cost efficiency while ensuring road safety standards.”

Will the County send a snow plow to clear my road if I ask?

No. It would be very costly to send plows off the route to respond to every plea from a resident or business. The priority is to clear the County’s road network as efficiently and quickly as possible, followed by general cleanup. Refer to the TRA-SNO-1 policy that states: “Sturgeon County Operations will route snow and ice control equipment in a manner which maximizes productivity and cost efficiency while ensuring road safety standards.”

Are the school bus routes plowed first?

Some people think the schedule is set by school bus routes, however, school buses travel on so many kilometers of roads that it is impossible to assign a priority to one bus route over another. After a significant snow fall, and/or storm, school buses and all other types of vehicles may not be able to travel on County roadways until such time that plowing is completed. (see TRA-SNO-1)

Can I direct drainage from my property into the ditches sorrounding my property?

No. The purpose of ditches is to maintain the integrity of the road infrastructure and not for private drainage.

Can I landscape the ditch next to my property?

No. Landscaping ditches typically raises the elevation and can increase drainage problems. A landowner cannot landscape property in a way that will affect the neighbouring land.

Will the County come and clear the windrow at the end of my driveway?

Sturgeon County equipment may leave windrows across approaches to private property. While operators try to minimize them, the County will not remove windrows or plow approaches.

When can I expect the calcium dust suppression to be put down?

Once an application is completed, the calcium dust suppression will be put down typically in late Spring, weather permitting.

Why do we put road bans on the County roads?

Road bans protect the safety and integrity of our roads. The spring thaw puts the roads in a fragile state as the frost built up in the road begins to melt. The roadbed becomes soft as water is trapped between the surface of the road and a layer of frozen ice and gravel underneath.The roads are especially fragile near the shoulders of the roads. Heavy, repetitive loads across these roads can create permanent damage, potholes, ruts, and gouges in the road surface. The County applies seasonal weight restrictions on local roads to protect the infrastructure during this spring-time transition.